There’s an Internet fad (?) going around called “sweet potato toast”.
The short description is to slice a big round sweet potato into 1/4″ slices and cook them in a toaster until you get some browned spots. Then you spread stuff on it as if it were toast.
For the skeptics, it works.It’s definitely not toast. It can definitely be worked into a healthy and flavorful breakfast (or any other meal).
As an experiment I tried several options:
- Just butter – blah.
- A little butter and a few grains of sea salt – nice!
- Peanut butter – umm, OK, I guess.
- Sweetened flavored cream cheese – wow!
- Plain cream cheese and a preserve, jam, or my home made cranberry sauce – yippee!
- Cottage cheese and pineapple – likely good (but I didn’t have the ingredients in the house).
The skins can be a little bit leathery. I’d say to leave the skins on but to add small cuts through the skin all the way around.
I plan to incorporate this into a dinner menu or breakfast for the next guests to the farmhouse.